If you’re like me, then you:
- View your training as a spiritual journey, and not just a physical one
- Get anxiety during your pre-race taper
- … and therefore in light of numbers one and two, you pray more than usual in the days immediately leading up to the goal race
As I write this (September of 2021), I am preparing for the Chicago Marathon which is exactly 14 days away. Many others are preparing for the other big-name marathons. In fact, all six World Marathon Majors are taking place this year within a seven-week time frame: Berlin, London, Tokyo, Boston, New York City, and as I said Chicago. So maybe you’re entering your taper phase as you approach one of the Majors, or you are getting ready for one of the many, MANY local races occurring this fall all over the world due to Covid postponements. If you’d like some intercession from St. Sebastian, patron saint of runners and other athletes, here’s a popular prayer for you to use. You could even make it a novena to him in the days leading up to your big race.
Prayer to St. Sebastian
Dear Commander at the Roman Emperor’s court, you chose to be also a soldier of Christ and dared to spread faith in the King of Kings, for which you were condemned to die. Your body, however, proved athletically strong and the executing arrows extremely weak. So another means to kill you was chosen and you gave your life to the Lord. May athletes be always as strong in their faith as their patron saint so clearly has been. ~Amen.
Are you unfamiliar with Saint Sabastian? Read more at St. Sebastian: Patron saint of athletes
Looking for prayers for your next run? Sign up for your FREE Runner’s Prayer Booklet!
Would you let me share with you a free PDF? This little collection includes prayers for daily runs, race day, and more!
- Train your spiritual muscle AND your physical muscles!
- Includes prayers by Saints John Paul the Great, Faustina Kowalska, and Padre Pio!
- Send copies to your running friends!
Grab your FREE Runner’s Prayer Booklet TODAY! You’ll also receive monthly emails to inspire your running journey!